Table of Contents
- Add Lookup Field to Shipment Object
- Update the Custom Object to have the Recommended Address Fields
- Create the Custom Address Source Record
Custom Object support allows you to ship to any object that has address fields. After you have installed and configured Shipmate, you can set up your Custom Object integration as follows:
The images below describe an example on how you can use this technique to ship to the Case object.
1. Add Lookup Field to Shipment Object
To allow your custom object to be used as an address source in Shipmate, you must create a Lookup Relationship to the Multi-carrier Shipment object. This allows your custom object to be associated to the Multi-carrier Shipment records and to have a Multi-carrier Shipments related list on your custom object. The following steps detail this process.
- Go to Setup | Create | Objects
- Under the Label column, click Shipment
- Under the Custom Fields & Relationships section, click New
- Select Lookup Relationship as the Data Type, and click Next. Shown in Figure 1.
- For the Related To value, select the object you want to use as a custom address source, and click Next. Shown in Figure 2.
- Enter in a value for Field Name, and click Next
- Continue to click Next until you reach Step 6 of the New Relationship wizard
- Click Save to complete the New Relationship wizard
Figure 1: Adding Lookup from Shipment Object.
Figure 2: Select the Object you want to ship to. In this example, we’ll select the Case object.
2. Update the Custom Object to have the Recommended Address Fields
If a custom object is used as an address source, it is recommended that the following data be available (at minimum). If the selected custom object does not have all these fields, they may be added from related objects using Formula Fields. However, if all the following data is not available, the custom object may still be used as an address source. Any missing data can be manually added in the shipment wizard when creating the shipment.
- Recipient Name
- Recipient Company
- Recipient Email
- Is Residential (checkbox)
- Recipient Phone
- Recipient Street
- Recipient City
- Recipient State
- Recipient Postal Code
- Recipient Country
The following reference and email fields are also available to map:
- Reference 1
- Reference 2
- Email Recipient 3
- Email Recipient 4
- Email Recipient 5
3. Create the Custom Address Source Record
To connect the custom object as an address source, a Custom Address Source record must be created. The following steps detail this process.
- Go to the Custom Address Sources tab
- Click on New Custom Address Source. Shown in Figure 3
- Enter in a value for Custom Address Source Name. Shown in Figure 4
- For Object, select the object that you want to use as an address source. Shown in Figure 4
- For Shipment Object Lookup Field, select the Lookup field that was added to the Shipment object in part 1. Shown in Figure 4
- For the values under the Recipient Address Fields section, assign the appropriate fields from your custom object. Note: The Recipient Street can either be specified as a single TextArea or as TextLines, but not both. Shown in Figure 4
- Once all fields are assigned under Recipient Address Fields, click Save. Shown in Figure 4
Figure 3: After you create the Lookup relationship on Shipment, create a new Custom Address Source.
The last step of our quick start tutorial is One Click Shipping